[va-richmond-general] Swallows at Big Meadows, Shenandoah National Park

  • From: "Nancy Ambler" <nancym.ambler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:55:31 -0400

Late yesterday afternoon, 4:00-5:00 pm, I was privileged to see thousands of
swallows (primarily and perhaps totally barn, and I could not estimate more
precisely their numbers) throughout the entire meadows at Big Meadows in
Shenandoah National Park (about 2 hours, 15 minutes from Richmond).  I asked a
Ranger about the situation and she advised they are forming for migration and
will be gone by the end of August.  To be amidst these graceful, beautiful
birds -- swirling, swooping, diving, circling, at once purposeful but
simultaneously almost with a sense of carefree abandon -- was a totally
unexpected time of grace.