[va-richmond-general] Spring migrants at Bear Creek Lake SP, Cumberland County 5/13/08

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:59:33 -0400

A very pleasant morning for a visit to Bear Creek Lake SP.  The water level was
fully restored from when I was last here about a month ago.  There were a
number of interesting neotropical species - BROAD-WNGED HAWK, MAGNOLIA WARBLER,
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, BLACKPOLL WARBLER  as well as a well-seen male
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER  and my FOS HOODED WARBLER.

According to the Birds of Virginia's South-Central Piedmont Checklist, there
are no records for Magnolia and Blackpoll in Cumberland County.

Full species list

Location:     Bear Creek Lake SP
Observation date:     5/13/08
Number of species:     38

Wood Duck     X
Great Blue Heron     X
Turkey Vulture     3
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Broad-winged Hawk     1
Mourning Dove     X
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Pileated Woodpecker     X
Eastern Wood-Pewee     X
Acadian Flycatcher     X
Eastern Kingbird     1
Yellow-throated Vireo     X
Red-eyed Vireo     2
Blue Jay     X
American Crow     3
Carolina Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     X
Carolina Wren     1     gathering nesting material
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     1
Eastern Bluebird     X
Gray Catbird     X
Northern Parula     X