[va-richmond-general] Spring Migration banding May 2 & 4 2012 Powhatan State Park-NOWA & LISP

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 02:03:39 +0000 (UTC)

Migration really picked up this past week. We were able to get out to Powhatan State Park Wed. and Friday. Grasshopper Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlarks and Blue Grosbeaks greet us in the fields as we drive in. Indigo Bunting's and Prairie Warblers sound off while we drop the nets and Bobwhite are calling non-stop right next to our station. This week we had a surprise sparrow hit the nets, a Lincoln's Sparrow, definite learning experience in Sparrow ID. We added Northern Waterthrush and Magnolia Warbler to the list and continue to have some interesting recaps. Turkeys are gobbling and there have been many frog and snake sightings.

Here's what was in the nets-73 total birds netted:

Northern Cardinal
Swamp Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Indigo Bunting (male and female)
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Yellow-breasted Chat (1 recap from April 29, 2011)
Magnolia Warbler (male and female)
Prairie Warbler (1 recap caught 1 year to the day in adjacent net)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler (male & female)
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Waterthrush
Black and white Warbler
Grey Catbird
Ruby-throated Hummingbird-(released at net)
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Carolina Wren (1 recap from 2010)
Orchard Oriole