[va-richmond-general] Richmond Audubon Society Meeting, Oct 16th, 7PM

  • From: Diane Jadlowski <djadski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: *RAS general list <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 17:48:15 -0400

*Thursday, October 16, 2014*

//

/Hummingbirds of the Mid-Atlantic Region/

Bruce Peterjohn, Chief of the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory

Thought you saw a hummingbird during the winter? You may have and it probably wasn’t a Ruby-throated. Gone are the days when the Ruby-throated Hummingbird was the only species of hummingbird found east of the Mississippi River, or when hummingbirds were believed to be only summer residents. The mid-Atlantic region supports a surprisingly diverse hummingbird community, especially during winter when species from western North America regularly appear in the east.

Bruce Peterjohn will summarize our knowledge of the current status and distribution of hummingbirds in the Virginia-Maryland-Delaware region, providing insights into their identification, life histories, and how these marvelous little birds are adapting to become regular winter residents in this region.

We meet at St. Luke Lutheran Church, 7757 Chippenham Pkwy, Richmond.Please come and join us at 6:30pm for pre-meeting coffee, cookies and conversations.The meeting will start at 7pm.

*Thursday, November 20, 2014*: Planning ahead, mark your calendar for /our annual pot luck dinner and program of member-shared pictures and stories.Details will be in the November Thrasher and will be posted on the website,/