[va-richmond-general] Rewards for the hopelessly optomistic

  • From: nancy.kitchens@xxxxxxx
  • To: richmond bird list <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 15:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

While birding the Little River this morning, I found that I couldn't keep my
mind and eyes off of all the Paw Paw trees and Spice Bush that were being
strangled by the abundant Japanese Honeysuckle.  I spent way to much time
optimistically freeing the ones that I could reach.  My bird list was not
adding up to very much.  Then a lovely Rose Breasted Grosbeak took a peek over
my shoulder to see what I was up to.  He spent some time nearby pulling
caterpillars off of the trunks of the White Oaks and we worked together to
clear the woods a few "pests".  He managed to get me focused on the birds again
and my list began to improve.  I took a few sidetracks to my favorite tree and
a dwindling Vernal Pool before I headed back towards my truck with a modest but
satisfying bird list.

I couldn't help myself, I had to free just one more tree all the while telling
myself it was hopeless.  As I heard that satisfying snap, I looked out beyond
the brim of my hat directly into the huge brown eyes of a Barred Owl.  She was
about fifteen feet away, eye level and studying me very closely.  We starred at
one another for a moment then she silently flew higher into the next tree where
she continued to ponder me.  We watched each other for the next thirty
minutes.  I kept one eye on her and one hand on the honeysuckle - snap, snap,
snap....  She kept one eye on me and one eye at the edge of the river where she
hoped that my activity might flush out an easy meal.  I wondered if she was
cheering me on or thinking me hopeless.  I finally decided to let her continue
her hunt in private and as I headed for the trail head I was treated to two
lovely male Indigo Buntings lit by the single ray of sunshine that I saw all
day.

So next time your walking through the woods and you are overwhelmed by the
vines, ivy, grasses..... take a minute to remove a few.  You never know what
your reward might be.

I attached a picture so you could enjoy her as well.   Happy Snapping!

Nancy