[va-richmond-general] Red-tailed Hawks, Richmond

  • From: Susan Ridd <susaneridd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, RAS Listserv <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:07:16 -0400

In the last two days, four observers have seen the young Red-tailed
Hawks "branching" out away from the nest in Joseph Bryan Park.

As you enter the park, take the first right hand turn and park your
vehicle. Look up the hill and examine the tallest Pines. The nest is
easily observed in the crotch of several branches. The young are not
far from the nest and are easily seen with the naked eye.

The Bryan Park birdwalk will occur this Sunday, June 3 at 6:30 am
beginning at Shelter 1. We will go directly to Sally's Spring and a
new wetlands area.

The Shenandoah National Park walk has been postponed to Sunday, June
17. We will hike around Big Meadows and the Limberlost Trail, easy to
moderate trails. For more information contact Barbara Eck offline at
barbaraeck@xxxxxxxxxxx and thanks go to Victoria Cooper, Adolph White
and Kathy Butler for their observations of the Red-tailed Hawks!

Sue Ridd
Glen Allen, VA.