[va-richmond-general] Red-Shouldered Hawk

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:13:27 -0500

We started the Great Big Backyard Bird Count yesterday, and recorded the
usual collection of juncos, cardinals, and white-throated sparrows. Today
about 12:45, Anne spotted a hawk in our backyard. I took a picture of it
with the digital camera and compared it to pictures in bird books. It looks
like it has a solid-color light orange breast, but otherwise it matched the
description of a red-shouldered hawk, especially the tail feathers. I am
figuring that the camera washed out the speckling that the red-shouldered
hawk normally has. I don't think it was a red-tailed hawk because it did not
have any red in its tail. We also saw a greenish yellow bird and I
identified it as a female non-breeding goldfinch.

Having all these birds arrive during the GBBC was an interesting experience
for me.

Jim Blowers