[va-richmond-general] Red headed woodpecker

  • From: nancy.kitchens@xxxxxxx
  • To: richmond bird list <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:46:27 -0700 (PDT)

While out looking for Vernal Pool activity yesterday, a friend and I saw a pair
of Red-headed Woodpeckers displaying nesting activity in Western Hanover
county.  They were in a flooded area adjacent to the RR tracks about a mile
north of the North Anna Battlefield park.  We had stopped at this location to
check on a very large nest that was balanced on the tip of one of the flooded
trees.  Unfortunately, it looks like the nest was blown down by the recent wind
events.  This flooded area is about a mile north of the area where a pair of
Common Ravens has been spotted recently.

Much to my surprise, a single Red-headed Woodpecker was checking out a cavity
just outside my home office window this morning.  I got a long good look at him
before one of the resident gray squirrels chased him away from his favorite
tree.  Great new yard bird for me (I don't think the squirrel is as excited)!!!

Nancy Kitchens