[va-richmond-general] Re: RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at Robious Landing Park

  • From: <hoplerjrda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:29:19 -0500

I saw 5 Red Headed Woodpeckers all in the same grove of dead trees
yesterday along the Mattaponi River upstream from Aylett. Seems like
once you find a group they will generally stay in the same area.

> Speaking of Red-headed Woodpeckers, a friend of our who lives about
5 blocks west of Jef Davis Highway near Walmsly Blvd said she sees
them occasionally in her yard. She is not a birder but she described
them perfectly. They apparently come from the nearby DuPont plant area
on the James River where there is good sized preserve. We live on the
other side of Falling Creek from there and have never seen them in our
area. These birds have been known to be in the Robious Landing Park
area for quite awhile, and used to be seen in the marsh and parking
lot area of Henricus, but not in the last couple of years, or at least
I haven't heard any reports. I'm not sure why they are down so much in
numbers from the recent past. That might be something we could focus
on in this area.

> Al Warfield
Landing Park

> Ten participants on Richmond Audubon's Second Wednesday Walk to
Robious Landing Park were treated to a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER in the
parking lot.

> Other species
>
> Pied-billed Grebe
> Double-crested Cormorant
> Turkey Vulture
> Wood Ducks - 10 or so on the river
> Mourning Dove
>
> Red-headed Woodpecker
> Red-bellied Woodpecker
> Downy Woodpecker
> Eastern Phoebe
> Blue Jay
>
> American Crow
> Carolina Chickadee
> Tufted Titmouse
> White-breasted Nuthatch
> Brown Creeper (reported by the Kaulfers party)
>
> Carolina Wren
> Ruby-crowned Kinglet
> Eastern Bluebird
> Pine Warbler
> Dark-eyed Junco
>
> Northern Cardinal
> American Goldfinch
>
> Robious Landing Park is described at
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildlife/vbwt/site.asp?trail=1&site=CRI13&;
loop=CRI

> Wendy Ealding
> Chesterfield County
David A. Hopler Jr.
Fisheries Biologist
Dept. of Biology/ Center for Environmental Studies
Virginia Commonwealth University
1000 West Cary St. Room 041
Richmond, VA 23284-2012
(804) 827-0236