[va-richmond-general] RAS Field trip to Point of Rocks Park, 11/16/14

  • From: "Wendy Ealding" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wealding@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:38:26 -0500

 This morning was thankfully not as cold for the participants at the RAS trip
to Point of Rocks in SE Chesterfield County.  The seven participants (including
Thilakam and her young son, who is a great spotter) were all amazed at the huge
number of Eastern Bluebirds seen throughout the marsh, and as flyovers.  My
count of 100 is an estimate.  Betsy Saunders spotted an adult Bald Eagle on a
very distant nest, and we all got distant scope views (thanks to Ben for
carrying a scope).  Ben, along with Sarah Gurnick, were the only two to see the
Cedar Waxwings.  There was a huge flight of Laughing Gulls over the river.
Coming back through the woods, we found a Winter Wren which gave Sarah a life
bird, albeit a very brief view.

Full list at

Wendy Ealding
Midlothian