[va-richmond-general] RAS 2nd Wednesday at Dutch Gap/Henricus

  • From: CCC Verizon <cccoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:55:33 -0500

We numbered 8 birders and a near perfect fall day.
A first-timer on our bird walk was the one to spot the Baltimore Oriole amidst
the Cedar Waxwings and robins. Good to have so many eyes on the trees.
A flock of about 30 Laughing Gulls delighted us over the water at the first
fishing dock on the gap trail. They circled, then one would dive and catch a
fish only to release it, whereupon another gull dropped to pick up the fish,
drop it again and a 3rd bird would catch it on the water. We watched for
several minutes and saw this repeated several times. We saw no fish actually
eaten. Were they practicing? Or playing? Or?? A couple of immature Bald
Eagles would fly thru the flock, scatter them, and then move on out. All were
enjoying the good day, it seems.

Good birding,
John and Caroline Coe

Dutch Gap Conservation Area/Henricus Park - CAP03, Chesterfield, Virginia, US
Nov 11, 2015 9:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: RAS 2nd Wednesday. Clear, sunny, warming to low 60’s.
40 species

Canada Goose 30
Wood Duck 2
Gadwall 2