[va-richmond-general] Powhatan Spring Migration Banding 2 May 2011

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 00:45:11 +0000 (UTC)

Having a great season in Powhatan for spring migration banding. New arrivals every time we go out. The Grasshopper Sparrows buzzing in the fields have eluded our nets but it is nice to hear them buzzing before sunrise. We have flushed Grouse and also been listening to "bob-white" and the gobbling of turkeys when at the nets. We had a good number of Blue-wings calling last week, but they too stayed out of the nets. We are getting large numbers of Common Yellowthroats and Grey Catbirds. Still netting White-throated Sparrows as of today. Here's a few images from the past 2 weeks.

(Birds pictured: Yellow-Breasted Chat/Indigo Bunting/Magnolia warbler/Summer Tanager)

Julie Kacmarcik

Powhatan