[va-richmond-general] Re: Post-script for October 9th

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <featherchaser@xxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:28:38 -0400

The Latin Americans seem to be doing everything right these days. Brazil
uses resources only at a rate to require 1.2 Earths. It uses sugar cane
ethanol to good advantage to avoid importing fuel, due in large part to the
lower consumption per person there and the superiority of sugar cane over
corn to provide ethanol energy. The city of Curitiba, Brazil, handles its
transportation needs well, with buses that operate like subways. Cuba has
achieved energy independence - it had to, after the Soviet Union disappeared
and the US embargo continued, and now depends a lot on locally grown produce
and goods. And now Columbia declares some of its land to be a natural park.

Our country, on the other hand, operates coal energy plants that spew all
kinds of pollution and then expect wildlife like birds to continue to appear
nearby. Hey, they do appear. Next to the Chester power station in Henricus
Park. Still, I don't think all that pollution is good for the birds.

Jim Blowers

  _____