[va-richmond-general] Possible snowy owl in the Chesterfield/Powhatan area 1/1

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:40:00 -0500

Sorry for the late post.  Debated about whether to bring it up at all.
Yesterday morning, a hunter on private land saw a white owl fly north at
treetop level in front of his tree stand in good light.  This hunter spent
days with a SNOW on a fishing trawler far out at sea one winter, so I tend
to doubt a mis-identification.  I do not have time to search the area and I
do not know it very well.  I went there yesterday afternoon with the hunter
and was able to determine that it is apparently in Chesterfield County, not
far from open spaces at the Chesterfield Berry Farm and the Richmond Metro
Zoo.  Nearby intersections would include Genito/Moseley Rds., and
Genito/Skinquarter Rds.  The closest house was at 5630 Moseley Rd., Moseley,
VA-do not approach these people as they will not know what you are talking
about and do not own the woods where the owl was flying.  Looking on the map
it is west of Swift Creek Reservoir.  The woods are very wet and muddy on
the access cuts and all the creeks are very full, but without permission no
one can enter the woods out there anyway.

So much of the immediate area where this owl was seen is heavily wooded that
I would guess it was either passing through or moving from one open area to
another.  If found it is likely to need veterinary care.  Usually these owls
are nutritionally compromised and parasite-infested from what I have read.
The owl found by George Larner at Ruckersville last winter ended up dying in
the end, as I recall.  Someone who knows where the open land is out there
might get lucky.  Sorry I can't provide more info.  Happy New Year!

Jan

Richmond