[va-richmond-general] Re: Pine siskin added to new yard list; Riverside Dr. this morning

  • From: blaze69 <blaze69@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:14:47 -0500

I saw plenty of buffleheads today when I paddle the river. They were between the Powhite and Reedy Creek. The buffleheads seem to have expanded their area lower on the river.

Lots of gulls above Mayo.

I also saw a bald eagle fly out of a nest upriver from the footbridge to Belle Isle. An osprey was building that nest earlier in the year.

I also saw some blue herons, kingfishers and mallards. Less geese than I normally see.

BTW.....I have seen one mute swan on the Appomattox river the past few times I have been on that river.

Joan Davis

Janice Frye wrote:

Finally had a pine siskin show up at the feeder out front a few minutes ago. Yard bird #34 since moving, can’t wait till spring with all the nice variety of trees around. The ring-necked ducks (30-40) seem to outnumber the buffleheads in the James some mornings, but with the recent rain and current I suppose the buffleheads are in sheltered spots out of sight when their numbers appear lower. Not as many geese lately, and no pied-billed grebes for several days, but they will show up when the river goes back down. The mute swan pair just keeps showing up….. Many of the ducks are avoiding the current on the downriver ends of islands or in scattered still pockets. DC cormorants look happy, no great blues even in sheltered spots. Have a great day.

Jan

Richmond