[va-richmond-general] Pelicans in Maryland

  • From: "Bob" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:31:11 -0400

While working in Maryland, I had a chance to visit Blackwater National
Wildlife Refuge.  Most of the ducks and geese have moved on, but I saw three
nice bald eagles up close.  Then I saw a raft of white birds on the river,
thinking them swans or geese I pulled over.   To my surprise, it was about
30 white pelicans.   Seems awfully early for them in Maryland.  I remember
an article earlier in the year about pelicans being caught be the cold, but
do not remember where that was.   During migration, this NWR would be really
nice stop.  It has large ponds and views of the tidal river.  Bonus animals
include Sitka deer and Delmarva Squirrels.

Bob Siegfried