[va-richmond-general] Re: New Recording 6

  • From: Elliott Krash <ell.krash@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 10:45:02 -0400

What about what I think is a whippoorwill call in late afternoon/at dusk?
Would that be the mocking bird (which are plentiful here!!) or is it really
the whip?

Comments much appreciated!!

Elliott

On May 21, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Nelda Snyder <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Catharine, I've been waiting for about 45 years to find out what sang every
night in spring outside our home at Fort Monroe! Thank you, thank you, thank
you! I gave up asking many years ago.

Wheeeee!
from Nelda

On May 21, 2015, at 11:38 AM, Catharine Tucker wrote:

Dear Mr. Sen,
You have been treated to the mid-night song of a mockingbird, a
mimic-thrush. At this point in the nesting season, the males will sing all
or most of the night in their enthusiasm. It's especially "fun" when they
choose a chimney as their singing perch, and the sounds echo through the
house.

They are rather non-descript gray & white, but their voice and vocal
creativity make up for lack of colors! They've been known to imitate
machine noises as well as other birds. Welcome to Virginia!

Catharine Tucker

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Pallavi Sen <pallavi.sen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everybody!

I heard this bird at around 1 AM last night, singing in a tree, and made
several recordings because the sounds were so bizarre (to me, at least...I'm
from India and have lived in richmond a couple months), almost unreal. If
you could take a few minutes and listen to it, I would be so glad!

Thank you!

Pallavi

p.s. I have a longer ten minute recording that has some very wonderful
moments in it, and dozens of sound combinations that mostly sound like car
locks or alarms to me.

--
Catharine White Tucker

Cell Phone (preferred): 804-938-6941