[va-richmond-general] Re: Nest in Side of house

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:00:15 -0400

Hi, Diane!

There are lots of possibilities for this bird. Among the sparrows are
the white-throated, chipping, song, and fox sparrows. I would suspect
instead that it may be a Carolina Wren. It likes to build nests in bird
houses, and maybe the hole would also make a good spot. Its young has
yellow mouths.  It has brown on the top and a whitish breast. It makes a
distinctive sound, as "saltpeter saltpeter..." or as "tweetya
datweetya..." depending on how you want to spell it. The bird's song has
a 3/4 rhythm.

See if that's the bird you are interested in. What kind of woodpecker
was that, by the way?

Jim Blowers