[va-richmond-general] Morning amusements

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AudubonList" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:08:16 -0400

  This morning I witness a battle of wits between my (sans red fanny) catbird
(no, I'm not the least bit proprietary, am I) and a female cardinal.
  The cardinal got onto the hanging tripod to have some sunflower and safflower
seeds; the catbird was trying to defend all 4 of the hanging feeders at once.
There are actually two catbirds living around here now, so they might actually
be a pair since they don't fight each other and sometimes cooperate.

  Anyway, the female cardinal at first ignored the warning "zeeeEEEEEE"s coming
from the catbird, and kept eating.  Then the catbird hopped its way across the
feeders to get to where the cardinal was, and hopped onto the rim, opening
wings, beak and generally looking provacative.  The female cardinal held her
ground and went into defense mode herself by hunching down a bit, flattening
her crest down, and showing off her open beak, ready to peck as well.

  A standoff ensued.  Then they pecked each other and retreated to their
respective spot on the rim of the feeder.  More pecking and warning squawks.
This went on for a few minutes, and when the cardinal made it clear she would
not leave, guess what?  The catbird flew off!  I was a bit amazed, and I have
to say, proud of the cardinal for her bravery.

  Irene in Southside

  P.S.  Though I must say...having been out to observe banding with Bob's crew,
I've seen how female cardinals and fight, sqwuak and peck the banders, so I
knew they had it in them!