[va-richmond-general] James River Winter Count Report

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 02:50:40 +0000

This is a somewhat late report on the James River Winter Bird Count, held on
Sunday, January 12, 2014.

We had a good turnout, with full crews at all locations, and good weather for
the count. This year’s total was 70 species, with the highlights being a Gray
Catbird at Huguenot Flatwater, three Red-breasted Mergansers at the Floodwall,
and two Canvasbacks and four Greater Scaup at Byrd Park. This was the highest
total since 2009, when we found 72 species.

I have been keeping counts by sector since 2009, and have attached the
spreadsheet for this year, as well as the spreadsheet of the counts by year for
that period. New species found this year for the first time (since 2009) were
Red-breasted Merganser, American Coot, Greater Scaup and Red-headed Woodpecker.

The most numerous species reported was American Robin, with 337 reported,
closely followed by Ring-billed gull, with 327 reported. Reported in all
sectors (less Ancarrows Landing - see below) were Canada Goose, Bufflehead,
Double-crested Cormorant, Ring-billed Gull, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina
Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren and Northern Cardinal.

I have a couple of questions for participants. First, a Sharp-shinned Hawk was
called out at the tally, but I do not know which sector it belongs in. Second,
I don’t have the list for Ancarrows Landing - if anyone has that list, I’d
appreciate it if you passed it along.

Thanks to Julie Kacmarcik for doing the organizing, and to Betsy and Ben
Saunders for hosting the Tally Brunch after the count.

Lewis Barnett