[va-richmond-general] James River Park Wetlands, Richmond VA, Wed March 15th

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:13:10 -0400

I visited the Wetlands at James River Park in Richmond yesterday to look for
the AMERICAN BITTERN.  I arrived around 8:30 am, but had no luck locating
the bittern.  I enjoyed the rest of the park and came back to look for the
bittern again at 12:30pm.  I found him, but he immediately skulked off into
the grasses, so I only got a brief look and no photos.  Other highlights of
the visit were approx 6 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS and a cooperative WINTER WREN along
the boardwalk.  The bluebirds in the meadow were active and appear to have
claimed the box there.  Other fun birds included a BROWN CREEPER, many SWAMP
SPARROWS, and a singing COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.

Here is a link to pictures of the winter wren and the female bluebird:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlechols/3386828221/

Rachel Echols

Chester, VA