[va-richmond-general] James River Park - Wetlands 4/7/2009

  • From: "Lewis Barnett" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:34:10 -0400 (EDT)

I stopped by the Wetlands Section of James River Park after work today for
an hour or so. It was mostly overcast, breezy and quite cool, but
reasonably birdy for all that. I found my FOY Eastern Kingbird in the
boardwalk area, and enjoyed an Osprey perched across the river from the
beach area. There was a fairly steady progression of swallows upstream on
the river, consisting of about 38 Tree Swallows and five or so Barn
Swallows in the few minutes I spent there before the wind drove me back
into the trees. I found three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers wheezing at me, and a
couple of Yellow-throated Warblers. Also in the boardwalk area, I found a
couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets chasing each other, and a Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker.

Good birding,

--
Lewis Barnett
Math & Comp Sci, University of Richmond, VA 23173