[va-richmond-general] Insects - Strange Year

  • From: Erv Mueller <pondthree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:15:44 -0400

Noticed this week while picking snap beans, most of the blossoms had not
been pollinated.

Then checked the flowers that are in bloom - very few if any bees (no
bumblebees at all).

Cannot find any immature acorns that should at least growing at this time
of year. Have

seen only a minimum of of leaves being damaged by chewing bugs. While still
early,

no bug spatter on the windshield (day or night) !

I judge our feathered insect eating friends are finding something for chow.

The normal bluebird/phoebe bug wars in my back yard must have a truce.

The very unusually long and cool spring is having some major effects.

Anyone else notice these changes ?

Good luck for the acorn eaters this fall/winter !!

Have also noticed an increase in the number of fledglings from those birds
able

to enjoy the 17 year treats.