[va-richmond-general] Injured downy woodpecker

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birders'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:04:17 -0500

This morning I went out to the bird feeder. The birds all flew away except a
female downy woodpecker. She just stayed on the ground. It looked like it
might have been injured. We caught the bird and brought it in to Richmond
Wildlife Center. We called them later and found it had an infected foot.
They are giving it antibiotics and will soon perform surgery to remove some
of the foot. Note woodpeckers have four toes on their feet, not three like
other birds. Then they will have it do some rehab before rreleasing it back
to the wild.

Jim Blowers