[va-richmond-general] House Bill 2154 --

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:52:43 -0500

Greetings to all VA-birders....

Please show your support for the VA Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries by
opposing House Bill 2154. I had a discussion with David Whitehurst prior
to the following note being sent out. It makes no sense to combine VDGIF
with the VMRC. These organizations work on totally different agendas.
And, our desire to strengthen non-game emphasis in the department would
be watered down to where you would not recognize it. Please take five
minutes of your time to express your opposition to HB 2154.

Larry Lynch      birder6@xxxxxxxx

January 16, 2003

Dear Constituents and Wildlife Enthusiasts:

This year, there is a particularly bad piece of legislation that I feel
requires your immediate attention and action.  Delegate Phillip
Hamilton's bill (HB 2154) places our Department under the Virginia Marine
Resources Commission (VMRC)!  It does away with the Board and the
Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and places all game and fish
laws under a newly formed Game and Marine Resources Commission.  This
bill requires that hunting and fishing license fees will be the sole
funding source for the newly formed Commission, which creates a $22
million dollar overall budget reduction for all fish and wildlife
programs.

I feel that we should send a strong message to legislators that the
sportsmen and wildlife enthusiasts of this state support their wildlife
agency, and they do not want to lose the focus of their department and
have it diluted by a merger that makes no sense.  One point in the bill,
to take our hunting and fishing license dollars and wildlife funds to
solely support two separate agencies, just does not make good business
sense.  As a businessman who is completing his second term on this Board,
I can tell you that merging an agency with a commercial fisheries focus
with an agency with a recreational wildlife and fisheries mission is like
mixing oil and water.  It will not save the state any money.  It will not
enhance our natural and wildlife resources.  It will reduce support of
our natural and wildlife resources, and it just simply makes no sense.

I have attached points of consideration for you to use on HB 2154.  I
urge you to contact your senators and delegates and oppose this
legislation.  You may reach your legislator by calling (804) 698-1990 or
toll free at (800) 889-0229.
Sincerely,

Charles G. McDaniel
Board Chairman

House Bill 2154
Patron:  Hamilton

·Eliminates the Board and the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

·Proposes to create a new "Commission" named the Virginia Game and Marine
Resources Commission within the current statutory marine resources model.

·Reduces funding for the wildlife and fisheries programs by $22 million.

·Makes it impossible to sustain programs related to the nearly $2 billion
wildlife-related tourism industry in Virginia, including the new
statewide Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail.

·The Commission will have a Director appointed by the Governor and will
be a policy commission.  This eliminates the appointment of any Director
by the Board/Commission.  Currently, the Board of Game and Inland
Fisheries is a supervisory Board.

·Places all wildlife and freshwater fisheries regulations under the
Marine Resources Commission Code sections.

·All recreational hunting and freshwater angling will be placed under a
historically commercial marine fisheries interest commission.

·Places all properties owned by the Department of Game and Inland
Fisheries that were purchased with sportsmen dollars and federal funds
under the newly formed Commission.  Because a number of wildlife
management areas were acquired with federal funds, a merger may result in
Virginia having to reimburse these funds.

·Makes it impossible to adopt regulations for migratory species in time
for hunting seasons, thus most migratory seasons may be lost to
Virginia's sportsmen.

·The proposed funding will result in the elimination of approximately 250
employees, of which 110 will be law enforcement positions from both
agencies.

·No general funds are being provided through this legislation.  Thus,
DGIF will fund all marine resources functions.

·The Commission would consist of a Chairman (unclear as to which agency
head, or either like the marine resources commission models), and a
member from each congressional district appointed by the Governor
(maximum of two consecutive full terms).  One must be a commercial
fisherman and one a representative of the sports fishing industry or a
recreational fisherman.  Terms are one to four years for other members,
and no more than three can be replaced in any single year without a
resignation or other vacancy, which the Governor can fill.  The Chairman
must be an experienced game or marine affairs individual and an
experienced administrator.  The Commission must meet every three months.