[va-richmond-general] Hog Island/Jamestown

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Virginia Bird listserv" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:42:59 -0500

A fruitful trip to Hog Island and Jamestown with friends yesterday produced:

At Hog Island:
at least 6 Osprey (2 nesting pairs)
6 Wood Ducks
6(?) Blue-winged Teal
dozens of Tree Swallows
about a dozen Great Blue Herons (one nesting, very secretively)
at least a dozen Brown Pelicans
1 GLOSSY IBIS (flying over near the high observation tower on the left side as
you are facing the end of the "island")
some possible Purple Martins near the Purple Martin house at the end of the
island (never got close enough to tell for sure)

The ferry to Jamestown produced:
about 6 Royal Terns
about 6 Laughing Gulls
probably somewhere close to 100 D-c Cormorants
1 possible 1st winter Bonaparte's Gull

At Jamestown, leaving the ships, we saw 1 adult Bald Eagle (WE were leaving the
ships, not the bird :-)

These were the hilights. We probably saw/heard about 40 - 45 total species in
about 3 - 4 hours of active looking.

Michael Shapiro
sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx