[va-richmond-general] High Bridge Trail State Park 4/11/10; BLUE-HEADED VIREO at Bear Creek Lake SP

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:11:19 -0400

I visited a couple of portions of High Bridge Trail SP near Farmville today;
this is one of the locations for the field trips for the upcoming VSO Annual
Meeting April 23-25.  Afterwards I paid a brief visit to Bear Creek Lake SP; as
it was around midday, it was quiet birdwise (although not people-wise).  A
surprise find at Bear Creek was a singing BLUE-HEADED VIREO at essentially the
same spot that I saw one last October - have to wonder if it was the same guy!

Full species lists for High Bridge

 Location:     High Bridge Tr SP, FVL-HBR
Observation date:     4/11/10
Notes:     River Road access to High Bridge
Number of species:     22

Turkey Vulture     8
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Mourning Dove     2
Barred Owl     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     3
Pileated Woodpecker     2
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue Jay     5
American Crow     4
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     4
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     2
Northern Mockingbird     2
Pine Warbler     2
Ovenbird     1
Louisiana Waterthrush     1
Chipping Sparrow     3
Northern Cardinal     6
Brown-headed Cowbird     2
American Goldfinch     2

Location:     High Bridge Tr SP, FVL-HBR
Observation date:     4/11/10
Notes:     Osborne Road access to Main St.
Number of species:     24

Black Vulture     6
Turkey Vulture     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     1 carrying a large stick
Barred Owl     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue Jay     1