[va-richmond-general] Help with sparrow IDs

  • From: Lisa Mease <kunsthure@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jim Blowers <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@xxxxxxxxx>, Arun Bose <arun1bose@xxxxxxxxx>, Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 20:34:52 -0500

Thankfully it's not.  [image: 😄]  As unbelievable as it sounds, there are
none around me.  But besides that, female HOSPs have longer, bulkier bills,
they lack the malar stripe, the head is flatter, their supercilium is buff
and not as crisply demarcated, and the brown eye line starts behind the
eye; the body shape/size is chunkier, the tail is shorter, and to me at
least, it isn't as deeply notched.

This was all a case of Rare-itis.  It's a disease that can afflict any
birder.  The main symptom is the visual hallucination which makes you
certain you're looking at a rare/hard to find bird when it's really a
dime-a-dozen species.  I so wanted these to be Lincolns and American Trees
that I just couldn't see the obvious.

-Lisa

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015, Jim Blowers <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a little old, but isn’t that last one a female house sparrow?
>

> Jim Blowers

PNG image