[va-richmond-general] Re: Hawk Identification

  • From: Nick Kotula <nkotula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bob Schamerhorn <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:23:00 -0400

Thanks everyone for your help!

Upon further examination (these guys have been in my backyard screaming up
a storm for the past 4 days now!) I think it is probably a red-shouldered,
especially after listening to recordings of their cries.  I got another
picture that shows the front of the bird a bit better, as well.

[image: Inline image 1]

On a side note, I saw an osprey hunting in the ponds of Bryan Park
yesterday, which I thought was a bit odd!

Again, thanks!

Nick Kotula

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Bob Schamerhorn
<bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Looks more like an immature Red-shouldered Hawk to me.
>
> Thank you for this opportunity,
> Bob Schamerhorn
> Infinity Graphics
> Phone: (804) 360-8777
> E-mail: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Website: http://www.infinity-graphics.com
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Infinity-Graphics/360459167347011
> Address: 1101 Glidewell Road • Richmond, Virginia  23227
>
> "Endless Possibilities in Art and Design"
>

> On Jun 21, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Nick Kotula wrote:
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what kind of hawk this is?  There are two
> hunting in my backyard (near Bryan Park) on a regular basis.  He/she seems
> to have caught something in this picture... not sure exactly what that is
> either!
>
> I'm thinking either a Cooper or a Sharp Shinned?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick Kotula
> <20130621-20130621-IMG_0799.jpg>

JPEG image