[va-richmond-general] Grandview Beach

  • From: Margaret - Ebbs <mebbs525@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:04:38 -0800

Six  hardy and enthusiastic birders bundled up and enjoyed a chilly and
blustery day in Hampton. A few hours on the beach (holding onto our
wind-blown scopes) and a few more in local parks, which were frosted with
a thin layer of snow, yielded 50 species of birds. Our thanks to Clark
White, who knew just where to find them!  Thanks to all who turned out
and made it a great day!

Margaret Ebbs

Highlights were:

Common and red-throated loon
Pied-billed grebe
Northern Gannet
Brown Pelican
Black-crowned night-heron
Gadwall
American wigeon
Redhead (good, close look)
Ring-necked duck
Lesser Scaup
Long-tailed duck
Bufflehead
Common goldeneye (lots)
Hooded merganser
Red-breasted merganser
Ruddy duck
Adult Bald eagle (last bird of the day, soaring right over our heads)
Sharp-shinned hawk
Red-tailed hawk
Wild turkey
Black-bellied plover