[va-richmond-general] Golden-winged Warblers

  • From: Heron329@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:36:57 EDT

Yesterday my son, daughter-in-law and I walked up the hill behind my Highland
County farmhouse to see if we could find the golden-winged warblers.  We had
heard one singing while we were eating breakfast, and soon found the bird
sitting in the open.  Then we found a female with him in the same tree.  As we
were watching, another male zoomed in and the fight was on.  The birds flew at
each other around and around us for a few minutes, then incredibly a third bird
joined the battle, and the three of them were making a constant chattering
noise as they went at each other.
Occasionally they would all stop to rest on the top of the brambles and we
would have all three birds in our binoculars at once.  Then one of the birds
would start the fight again, and they would be off.  The female was sitting in
the tree watching.

We watched the birds for at least 15 or 20 minutes, and we finally left them
to locate some other birds we were hearing from up the hill.  They were still
fighting when we walked on.

We also had rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, and a hairy woodpecker
at the feeders all weekend, along with the usual goldfinches, brown thrashers,
and assorted others.

Those of you who haven't signed up for the Richmond Audubon Highland County
weekend June 13, 14 and 15 had better come along!  Email me at heron329@xxxxxxx
if you want to join us, and I will send you the details.

Margaret