[va-richmond-general] Re: Goiter?

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:20:42 -0400

The sick sparrow was back this evening, and lethargic enough for me to digiscope a few images that might be more conclusive.

http://picasaweb.google.com/blbarnett3/SickSparrow?feat=directlink

The bird sat on this perch long enough for me to walk into the house for the camera, to the car for the scope, then set up the scope and snap half a dozen pictures. I noticed through the scope that it was not clutching the branch very tightly, and you can see this in some of the pictures. Don't know if this is significant or not.

Lewis

Lewis Barnett wrote:
This evening, I observed foraging under my feeder a White-throated Sparrow with what appeared to be an abnormally enlarged crop -- it looked rather like it had a goiter. It didn't appear to be having difficulty feeding, even though it looked like it had tried to swallow half a golf ball.

Any theories on what might be going on with this bird?

Lewis