[va-richmond-general] GBBC at James River NWR

  • From: John Caroline Coe <johncaroline@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:36:12 -0500

This morning started out cool and cloudy and our trip ended in snow
showers!  "Weather" kept the number of birders down but not the birds!
Our definite best bird: 11 PURPLE FINCH in a small ash along the river
bank - busily eating the seeds, and often joined by several of the large
flock of Cedar Waxwings about. It was our first walk in this refuge and
it was great- with several more trails left to explore on possible future
RAS field trips!  Thanks to Cyrus Brame for permission and for mapping
out our trails.

Birds included:

DC Cormorant
GB Heron
Canada Geese Wood Duck
Gadwall
Bufflehead

Bald Eagle (including one sitting by its nest)
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-billed Gulls

Forester's Tern
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker

REd-bellied WP
Downy WP
Northern Flicker (a flock of 14)
Pileated WP
Eastern Phoebe

Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eatern Bluebird
Am. Robin

Euro. Starling
Cedar Waxwings
Yellow-rumped Warbler(a flock of over 70)
Pine Warbler
Rufous-sided Towhee

Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
N. Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Purple Finch (11!!)
Am. Goldfinch

Great trip!
RAS Trip Leaders Julie Kacmarcik and Caroline Coe