[va-richmond-general] Re: Flowerdew Hundred/James River NWR east of Richmond, Mon 5/4/2009

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 09:11:14 -0400

I have only heard about barred owls hunting worms from Roger Mayhorn before
this.  When they are perched above the trail studying those wet areas
intently at The Wetlands in JRPS maybe that is what they are doing?  I
wonder if it reflects a lack of other prey (seems unlikely with all the
frogs, squirrels and birds there) or if the worms are just really easy,
numerous, and require no prep time before consumption?  If I remember
correctly, Roger says that only one of the owls he sees eats worms, so maybe
hunger is not a factor.  They never get boring.  Sounds like you had a great
trip!

Jan

Richmond

  _____