[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap 1/6/2007

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:18:47 -0500

The beautiful weather lured me down to Dutch Gap this morning to see what wintering ducks would turn up and to have a look for the American Bittern that has been hanging around. No luck on the Bittern for me or anyone I talked to up to about 11:45 this morning, but perhaps someone turned it up after I left. Recent rains have boosted the water level in the marsh, and there were a good number of the usual ducks; Mallard, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Ring-necked and Shoveler. There was also a flock of Bufflehead up on the fly-ash pond. The bird of the day, however, was an Osprey, hanging out well beyond its usual departure date for warmer climes. My complete list appears below.

--
Lewis Barnett
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     1/6/07
Number of species:     30

Canada Goose     50
Wood Duck     10