[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap, 1/5/08

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 13:23:51 -0500

I guess I'm about the only Richmond birder who didn't head to Williamsburg to
see the Townsend's Solitaire today -- I settled for a nice (but cool, at least
until about 10:00 am) morning at Dutch Gap. The good news is that there is
plenty of water in the marsh, the bad news is that most of it was frozen today.
There was a bit of open water visible from the second observation platform, and
there was a nice little crowd of Canada Geese, Mallards, Gadwall, Wood Ducks
and American Wigeon there. It was a little comical to watch the geese and
foraging passerines slipping around on the ice. Highlight of the morning was a
Northern Harrier that showed off for me hunting along the entrance road fence
line, then came and perched out in the middle of the marsh for me for a brief
look. There was also a flock of about ten Wilson's Snipe treading gingerly
around the ice near the first platform, picking at the tussocks poking up
through the ice. Two immature Bald Eagles put in an appearance as well. A flock
of bluebirds and an electric Pine Warbler added a dash of color.

Complete list of species is given below.

Lewis

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     1/5/08
Number of species:     44

Canada Goose     65
Wood Duck     6
Gadwall     50
American Wigeon     11
Mallard     280
Double-crested Cormorant     175
Great Blue Heron     4
Black Vulture     2
Turkey Vulture     11
Bald Eagle     2
Northern Harrier     1
Cooper's Hawk     1
American Kestrel     2
Killdeer     29
Wilson's Snipe     11
Ring-billed Gull     100
Herring Gull     4
Great Black-backed Gull     1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1
Downy Woodpecker     4
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     15
Eastern Phoebe     2
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     1
Carolina Chickadee     8
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     3
Golden-crowned Kinglet     4
Eastern Bluebird     8
Northern Mockingbird     3
European Starling     8
Cedar Waxwing     10
Yellow-rumped Warbler     4
Pine Warbler     1
Field Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     12
White-throated Sparrow     22
Northern Cardinal     4
Red-winged Blackbird     30
American Goldfinch     1

Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
             -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx
             -- http://www.mathcs.richmond.edu/~lbarnett/