[va-richmond-general] Dec. 7(8) Pelagic trip out of Virginia Beach - VSO Field Trip

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:51:54 -0500

<< Forwarded by Larry Lynch  birder6@xxxxxxxx >>

From: Brian <patteson1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mail List <"Mail List"@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:13:04 -0500
Subject: Dec. 7(8) Pelagic trip; 2003 Trip Dates; Skua Images

Dear Seabirders,

There is still space on our last pelagic trip of the season-  a trip
aboard the Nancy Anne from Lynnhaven Inlet, Virginia Beach on Dec.
7(8).  While we haven't run a trip in early December for some time, it
can be a great time to get offshore.  Kittiwakes are usually in their
largest numbers then, and it is possible that we could see several
hundred.  It is also a good time to see Red Phalaropes, and perhaps Manx
Shearwaters.  Greater Shearwaters are sometimes still present as are
Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers.  Most any of the regular mid-winter
birds might be around and these include Northern Fulmar, Great Skua,
Dovekie, Razorbill, and Atlantic Puffin.  There are a couple of Virginia
sightings of Yellow-nosed Albatross from this time of year as well, so
we can always hope for this or some other vagrant seabird form the South
Atlantic.  Because the seawater temperatures and dispersal of various
seabirds vary sometimes considerably from year to year, it is hard to
guess exactly what we will find at this transitional season, but it
could be quite interesting, and we will never know if we don't get out
there!  Hopefully there will be enough adventerous souls to make this a
regular feature of our schedule in years to come.  For more specific
inforamtion about this trip including directions and preparations,
please visit our website at http://www.seabirding.com/, where you will
also find a list of our trip dates for 2003 which include many spring
and summer trips to the Gulf Stream off Cape Hatteras.  To make a
reservation for any of these trips, please send an e-mail or call Brian
Patteson at (252) 986-1363, and we will hold a space for you until we
receive your check.

Another reason to visit our webite- After hearing about the DNA evidence
supporting the occurence of two Brown and or Falkland Skuas from
Britain, I had a look at some of my
skua photos, and decided to post some images of interesting looking
skuas to our website.   Thanks to the help of my webmaster, Les Willis,
these images are now available for you to view and comment on at
http://www.patteson.com/skuas/skuas.htm/

I would be particularly interested in receiving comments from birders
with experience in the Southern Ocean, Tristan, and the Falklands.  We
would also be interested in seeing images of skuas from the Western
North Atlantic that don't seem to match the expected Great or South
Polar Skuas.

I hope to see some of you on the December trip!

Brian Patteson
Seabirding
Hatteras, NC