[va-richmond-general] Crewe's Channel, 8/19

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:28:05 -0400

Took a break from moving and paperwork to snag a life bird (thank you
Rachel, Arun, et al) and get some exercise.  The tri-colors were still
there, at least 3, along with many great egrets and at least 5 great blues.
Many peeps of all sizes, most too far away to ID.  If you follow the road
ruts back to where they cross the water (where the red-headed woodpeckers
still live!) there is a smaller area of water that had a few peeps and the
3rd (4th?) tri-color up close and ultimately rather personal.  Its response
to my approach was to fly toward me and perch on a bush about 20 feet away
to scrutinize me.  Naturally, I loaned out my hiking camera for a baby
christening a few days ago and don't have it back yet!  It's like they know.
Ditto for the 2 curious hummers that fed, perched and buzzed around less
than 15 feet away until I moved on.   Does anyone know who owns the property
beyond the park boundary as you follow the road on past the place where it
crosses the water?   It eventually comes back around to more wetlands that
include what appears to be a bald eagle nest to the right just as you leave
the posted park boundary.  I did not have time to look more, but there are
no signs that say private property or no trespassing/hunting/etc. and I
wondered if it was more park land owned by county/state/etc.  Found a turkey
feather just before the park boundary back there, and saw a group of 12
purple martins that looked like they were getting ready to go somewhere....
List as follows:

GB heron

Gr. egret

Tri-colored heron