[va-richmond-general] Craney Island Trip-22 November

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:01:57 +0000

Eleven birders rolled out at daybreak to spend a spectacular morning birding on
Craney Island. Clark White led our group as we tallied 47 species give or take.
Sunny, cloudless skies and temperatures in the 70's were a real treat for this
time of year.

Here's a few highlights:

Common Loon
Horned Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Tundra Swan
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Scaup (sp)
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Osprey (2)
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Sanderling
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Dunlin
Bonaparte's Gull
Greater Black-backed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Marsh Wren
...and the other expected species.

Thanks to the fun group that turned out and thanks to Clark for a great trip!
Julie Kacmarcik
Chester