[va-richmond-general] COMMON RAVEN at Amelia WMA 11/2/2008

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:55:16 -0500

This morning I paid a visit to Amelia WMA in the hope of finding some early
waterfowl on the lake.  No luck, but, instead I found a COMMON RAVEN!

Full species list:

Location:     Amelia WMA
Observation date:     11/2/08
Number of species:     24

Great Blue Heron     2
Black Vulture     3
Turkey Vulture     3
Sharp-shinned Hawk     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)     3
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue Jay     6
American Crow     7
Common Raven     1     Heard distinctive "cronk" call several times between
9:00 and 9:35 AM.  Seen once around 9:15, calling while flying.  Larger with
heavier head and beak and longer tail than 2 adjacent American Crows, primaries
with deeply indented "fingers".  Distinctively different flight style, with
flat winged glides, did not have "rowing" flight style of the crows.

Carolina Chickadee     2
Carolina Wren     1
American Robin     16
Northern Mockingbird     X