[va-richmond-general] Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:47 -0500

An interesting morning at 42nd Street this morning turned up my first BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHER of the year! That ended up being the only Spring migrant I saw. In
about 2 hours or so, I had 30 species. Other birds include:
Carolina Wrens
N. Cardinals (mostly males)
Am. Goldfinches (heard about twice as many as I saw)
Red-w. Blackbirds
Red-bellied Woodpeckers (heard)
Can. Geese
Am. Robins (singing)
Eastern Towhees
both Kinglets (I believe I heard a Golden-crowned singing)
Blue Jays
Swamp Sparrows
N. Flickers
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Mourning Doves
Mallards (only one female out of 7 ducks, and she was with a male. All other
males were solo or with another male)
White-throated Sparrows (lots, some singing)
Song Sparrows (singing)
Ring-billed Gulls
Carolina Chickadees (one of which was making some high-pitched calling notes
that sounded more like singing)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (only 1)
Pileated Woodpecker (drumming, down near the visitor's center but across the
water)
Belted Kingfisher
Tufted Titmouse (only 1, oddly)
Wood Ducks (a pair)
American Crow
Downy Woodpeckers (heard)
D-c Cormorants
Herring Gulls

Water level was only about a foot or so below flood stage.
Irene - e-mail me when you read this. I have something to send you. I got a
newer computer but couldn't transfer my address book.

Michael Shapiro
Short Pump

-- Desc: "AVG certification"

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.