[va-richmond-general] Re: BirdLog app

  • From: Wes Teets <wesrtx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kunsthure@xxxxxxxxx" <kunsthure@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 09:52:13 -0500

It's convenient in that (1) the birds are listed in taxonomic order so you
don't get lost in "where did I list chickadees?", plus you can browse the list
to see if you forgot to add something; (2) all you have to do to increase the
count for a species is tap the number next to its name on the list; and (3) all
the data and locations and such are synced with eBird so you don't have to
manually enter anything later.

So what's bad about it? (1) The app is buggy and always has been (random
crashes and such), though I think it's gotten better. (2) It suffers from
awkward design in a few places (e.g. setting up a new location, managing
offline lists, the way species are initially added to the list, adding
comments). (3) It's on iOS, so expect the usual issues of poor multitasking
(you sometimes have to reload BirdLog if you spend too much time--sometimes
only a minute or two--in another app, such as a field guide, browser, or audio
player).

Whether all that is worth $10 is up to you. I bird pretty often and use eBird
and I think the app does give me a bit more efficiency, though it does irritate
me sometimes the way it behaves. That said, if you're not seriously birding
that often and managing eBird records, I might recommend saving the cash for a
good pad and pencil.

Wes Teets