[va-richmond-general] Belle Isle walk, Sunday May 15th

  • From: "IE Ries" <featherchaser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:38:59 -0400

  Five intrepid (yes, there's that word again!) birders (Jan and Linda Johnson,
Anne Brooks, Jane DiCocco, Irene Ries-guide) turned out to enjoy the birds at
Belle Isle.  If you go, make sure to look for the CLIFF SWALLOW nests under the
Lee Bridge, the jug-shaped clay nests are attached to the undersides of the
bridge in sheltered locations.  The birds made really beautiful, large and
secure looking jug-shaped nests that even a potter would be proud of to see!

  Our list is as follows:

  Song, Savannah Sparrow
  Canada Goose
  American Crow
  Common Grackle
  American Robin
  Rock, Mourning Dove
  European Starling
  Cliff, Tree Swallow
  Baltimore Oriole (pair)
  Ruby-throated Hummingbird
  Osprey
  Great Blue Heron
  Northern Mockingbird
  Laughing Gull (and other species present but not IDed)
  Mallard Duck
  Eastern Kingbird
  Redtailed Hawk
  Killdeer
  Great-crested Flycatcher
  White-eyed, Red-eyed Vireo
  Blackpoll, Black & White, Magnolia, Yellow-Throated Warbler
  Solitary, Spotted Sandpiper
  Red-bellied, Hairy, Pileated Woodpecker
  Blue Jay
  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  Double-crested Cormorant
  Black, Turkey Vulture
  Carolina Wren
  American Goldfinch
  Brownheaded Cowbird
  Carolina Chickadee
  Tufted Titmouse
  Northern Cardinal
  Grey Catbird
  Grey-cheeked Thrush
  Killdeer
  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
  Scarlet Tanager

  We also stopped at the BB&T building and visited the PEREGRINE FALCON, who
kindly stayed perched so we get a good look at her.

  Good birding!

  IE Ries