[va-richmond-general] Bay Bridge Tunnel on Sat.

  • From: ben saunders <betsyben@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:23:10 -0500

                We had an amazing trip yesterday  to the Tunnel Islands.
The sky was blue and the water was calm.  There was no wind...a first for
a January CBBT trip for us. We saw Common and King Eider, all three
Scoters,  male and female Harlequin Ducks, many Longtails, Great
Cormorants and both Scaups in huge mixed flocks numbering thousands and
thousands of birds. We got good close looks at everything, plus the
channels between islands were black with birds as far as binoculars could
see.  We even saw seals on island three. Thanks Darrell, for arranging
the perfect trip!

                When we returned, conditions had changed and the wind was
coming out of the NE sending spray onto the islands.  Around 5:00 Ben and
I stopped for coffee on #1 and watched as a huge barge broke its tow
lines and hit the bridge! We scooted across before they could close the
bridge and trap us on the other side.   Another memorable RAS adventure.

The Saunders