[va-richmond-general] Bald Eagle pursuit

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 01:15:04 +0000

I stopped at Dutch Gap today about 2 in the afternoon to check the marsh for
new fall arrivals. After feeling a little defeated by only seeing 2 Canada
Geese I headed home. As I drove out on Old Stage Road heading towards Route 10
a Mature Bald Eagle blasted out of the woods on my left flying fairly
low....right on its tail were a group of 6-8 Crows. The Eagle was clutching
something in his talons which he dropped in the middle of the road and right in
front of me of as the crows pursued the mighty bird.

Pulling over to examine road kill as any inquiring birder would do; I was  in
total amazement to find that this Eagle was carrying a pretty well picked over
Calico cat. The Eagle was not seen again. The Crows circled back around and
staged themselves in the trees across from the road kill.

Julie Kacmarcik
Chester