[va-richmond-general] BB Whistling Duck not seen since possibly 6:30pm yesterday

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RAS List'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:09:25 -0400

I ran into someone named Tom McLean who saw it at 6:30pm yesterday, and I
saw it late afternoon but did not note the time.  I have sent an email to
the man who found it to see if he has anything to add.  Anyone else?  It
could be on the restricted side of the pond, but that has not been a regular
habit since it arrived on the 19th.  I will post anything new that I learn,
as others are also sure to do.  The weather is a bit unsettled today, but I
am still learning how that impacts bird behavior.

On a different topic, the mallard hybrid (possibly with one of the muscovies
that were there in the past?) also has murder in its heart.  It teamed up
with a mallard to kill a white duck that people were fond of feeding.  The
big snapping turtle apparently killed another white duck that had been
there, and a red tail has been seen taking goslings, plus Kait H. saw a red
fox there.  I hope the BBWD took off to go make little BBWDs!

Jan

Richmond