[va-richmond-general] Audubon International Alliances Program

  • From: Bob Schamerhorn <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FreeLists.org Madden" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:02:04 -0400

Audubon International Alliances Program

September 23, 2010
1150 Connecticut Avenue, NW Suite 600 • Washington D.C. 20036-4104
Tel: 202-861-2242 ex.3055 • Fax: 202-861-4290

Dear Richmond Audubon Society Members,
Do you know where the Prothonotary Warblers that breed in the Lower James River area go to spend their winters? Do you think that linking school children in Richmond to school children in Panama to learn more about this and to share experiences from both breeding and wintering habitats is a good idea? Audubon’s International Alliances Program and the Virginia Important Bird Areas (IBA) Program are working with a team from Virginia Commonwealth University and Panama Audubon Society through a Community Engagement grant called Team Warbler -- From Chesapeake Bay to Panama Bay and Back -- Cross Cultural Connections Supporting Sustainable Communities.

The primary objective of this project is to develop and promote a strong partnership between VCU and Audubon, both local chapters and national programs and our International partners in Panama through the IBA network. VCU faculty, students, and community partners will assist in the development and implementation of a social marketing campaign targeting communities and students in both regions. This campaign would provide curriculum materials and equipment for environmental education activities in Panamanian schools, and provide training and technical expertise in the design of a long-term avian monitoring program in Panama, based on a similar project in Virginia managed by VCU and Richmond Audubon partners. Team Warbler members participate in an active outreach program involving citizen scientists from the Richmond Audubon Society, participation in teacher training workshops through the VCU Rice Center, and ecological outreach activities with local middle and elementary schools.

The purpose of this letter is to let you know that we need your help! In order to keep this exciting bird education and conservation project going, we are asking you to give donations to help us buy equipment for school children and researchers, to set up an internet based blog to connect the two communities, and to help with staff support for the program. Our fundraising goal is to raise $5,000 to have as match to the VCU Community Engagement Grant that we have been awarded. If you would like to support us, please make your check out to National Audubon Society with IAP, Team Warbler in the check memo, and send to Matt Jeffery, Senior Program Manager, International Alliances Program, 1150 Connecticut Avenue, NW suite 600, Washington DC  20036.

With Thanks,
Matt Jeffery - Senior Program Manager
National Audubon Society • International Alliances Program
1150 Connecticut Ave, NW Suite 600 • Washington DC 20036 – 4104
Phone: +1 202-861-2242 ex. 3033

Mary Elfner - Virginia IBA Coordinator
National Audubon Society
530 E. Main St., Suite 810 • Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 788-7660

If you have any questions please contact Matt Jeffery at: mjeffery@xxxxxxxxxxx • (202) 861-2242 ext. 3033
or Mary Elfner at: melfner@xxxxxxxxxxx

Send Check or Money Orders to: National Audubon Society with IAP, Team Warbler in the check memo, and send to Matt Jeffery, Senior Program Manager, International Alliances Program, 1150 Connecticut Avenue, NW suite 600, Washington DC  20036
or visit our new secure online giving page at: