[va-richmond-general] Ash-throated Flycatcher & Western Grebes 12/25

  • From: Adam D'Onofrio <bigadfromlb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 20:18:58 +0000 (UTC)

I treated myself to some rarity chasing this Christmas morning.  I arrived at
the City Point parking lot at the corner of Pecan Ave. and Water St. in
Hopewell at 7:30.  I spotted the ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER at 7:50 in the trees
along Water St. directly across the street from the restrooms.  The bird did
not linger long  and I watched it move from tree to tree towards the parking
lot before it disappeared.  I waited for another 30 minutes in the hopes of
getting some photos but the bird did not return in that time.  Then it was off
to Lake Anna.  I arrived at the High Point Marina at around 10:00 but there was
dense fog in the area and I couldn't see a thing so I moved on to Lake Anna
State Park in the hopes that the fog would burn off.  At 11:00 I found myself
at Picnic Area B (Picnic Area B is a right hand turn just before getting to the
visitor center and beach area)  and the fog was finally burning off.  As soon
as it did, I found the 2 WESTERN GREBES previously reported  straight out from
the picnic area.  The birds remained together for the hour that I viewed them
and they gave great views through a spotting scope.  What a delightful morning.
 Good birding and Merry Christmas to all.

Adam D'Onofrio

Dinwiddie Co.