[va-richmond-general] Allen's Hummingbird

  • From: Naseem Reza <nreza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:42:30 -0500

Dear Birders:

Lou and I took up  the Kacmarciks on their generous offer and visited their
home on Monday (12/6) to take a look at the rare female Allen's Hummingbird,
a visitor from California. We arrived a little after 8 am and Mike who was
working in the back yard  informed us that the backyard feeder had not been
visited since the recently attached heater was installed and directed us to
the front yard feeders. The feeders in the front yard were frozen (although
fresh sugar water was put in at daybreak) and we saw the hummer come and
make an unsuccessful attempt to feed. About half an hour later, she returned
to the feeders which were in direct sunlight and manged to stick her bill to
the bottom of one of the feeders to avail herself of the little amount of
melted sugar water. She came back a third time to feed successfully before
we left around 9 am.

This is one beautiful bird as you can tell from the attached photos and
looks almost identical to the female Rufous Hummingbird that wintered with
us in 2005/2006.  Both Mrs. Kacmarcik and Mrs. Allen deserve their star
status as indicated by the coverage in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Thank
you Julie and Mike for sharing her with the birding community.

Naseem Reza