[va-richmond-general] A feathered discovery

  • From: "IE Ries" <featherchaser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:34:04 -0400

  Over the winter I purchased a wooden bird shelter, and in the early spring, a
friend helped me install it against the back wall of my townhouse.  It remained
 mostly empty, occassionally visited by birds seeking shelter from the rain
here and there.

  Yesterday evening I noticed the stem of a leaf sticking out from the shelter,
and resolved to look in the morning to see what sort of activity might be
taking place up there.

  A pleasant surprise occurred when I heard the pristine voice of a Carolina
Wren, loudly singing the "seed-eater, seed-eater, seed-eater" song, and very
close by, too.  I happened to look up and glance at the side profile of the
bird shelter and noticed a curved bill, opening and closing in time to the
song.  I found the singer!  When she hopped down after a while and wandered off
into the bushes to conduct wren business, I quickly went outside and carefully
climbed up onto the AC unit to peek in:  There is now a beautifully-crafted
wren nest that was not there last week!  She used lichens, a little reclamated
pet fur, pine needles and leaves to create a round ball-like nest with a little
entrance (no eggs inside as of today, but let's hope she does a second brood),
and she can still use the lip of the shelter as a "balcony."

  I put it up, and she moved in.  I've got a tennant :)

  Irene in Southside